The COVID-19 pandemic has limited the availability of training and employability opportunities for young people and those furthest from the workforce.
Last year’s ‘COVID-19’s: Access to the Workplace’ report from The Sutton Trust revealed that 61% of employers have cancelled some, or all, of their work experience or internship placements for the foreseeable future.
Virtual Work Experience (VWeX) has made work experience more accessible to people from diverse backgrounds and locations across the UK, as well as building valuable skills in interacting in professional virtual environments a skill that will become vital in their future careers.
In partnership with education charities, Speakers for School and Career Ready, Wates is providing Build Yourself virtual offerings to 14-19 year olds, including insight days, spotlight sessions, and work experience programmes.
Our Community Investment team will also be hosting a range of interactive bitesize sessions to provide young people with the opportunity to find out about a range of topics covering employability workshops, insights into the construction sector, and pathways into the industry.
Upcoming Virtual Work Experience Opportunities:
Deadline 22 January (14-19 year olds)
15 February – 19 February – VWEX for London & South
15 February – 19 February – VWEX for Midlands & North
15 February – 19 February – VWEX Industry Collaborative Work Experience with Wates, Wilmott Dixon, Balfour Beatty and Amey
16 February – Build Yourself with Wates: An Insight into Construction
8 March – Wates: International Women’s Day Event
The virtual work experience sessions will provide:
- A range of fun and challenging projects and tasks throughout the week
- Virtual site tours, Q&A panels and interactive webinars featuring Wates apprentices and industry professionals
- A chance to explore opportunities in the industry and learn more about the roles available
- Build employability skills such as good communication, presentation skills and team working
- Opportunity to network with industry professionals, gain a reference and build on your CV