spent with SMEs
young people engaged via educational projects
local people recruited
New 200 home seafront home development on preserved historic military complex.
We joined forces with Homes England to develop 200 new homes at the historic location of Daedalus, the former Royal Naval Air Station at Lee-on-the-Solent.
- The 200 properties consist of 120 private homes and 80 shared ownership homes
- We appointed JTP, architects and master planners, to develop a vision for the area
- The design of the new homes celebrates the area’s rich heritage by using traditional brick facades and tiled roofs, with green spaces created
- The first residents moved into their new homes in December 2019, following the completion of the first homes in April of the same year
- All shared ownership homes were reserved within the first week of launching and, by October 2020, over 50 percent of the private homes were either reserved or home to a new family
- We donated £500 to a local charity start-up, Women 4 Women to encourage greater community cohesion and reduce loneliness
- Gosport Primary School pupils took part in a competition to put forward names for the roads and apartment blocks at Daedalus Village that reflect its historic and military past
- We invested over £12m in local businesses in and around Gosport in its first year on site and over £18 million has been spent with local small businesses in total
- 101 local people have been employed on site including five people recruited directly from our free two week ‘Building Futures’ employability and construction skills course
- Over £70,000 has been invested in local charities, including a grant from Wates Giving, the charitable arm of the Wates Family Enterprise Trust, for over £15,000 to support the work of Age Concern Gosport and Gosport Voluntary Action
- Our employees have volunteered their time to pick litter, serve Christmas lunches to isolated residents and support the D Day celebration event and Gosport Marine Festival
Project impact report
The project in 2021 is now complete, delivering new homes for both affordable rent and open market sale.
For more information on its social, economic and environmental impact please download the Project Impact Report:
Phase 2 of the Daedalus Village project is expected to start on site soon. This will see two derelict military buildings be brought back to life to provide a further 14 apartments, and 6 townhouses for local people.
Get in touch to chat about your residential development project.