Gibside SEN will be the second site for the Gibside School in Gateshead.
The new purpose-built SEN institute will accommodate 170 pupils who have multiple learning disabilities as well as complex communication and medical needs.
The centre was procured via Scape Major Works UK, part of the Scape National Construction framework, for which Wates was awarded sole contractor in 2017.
Gateshead Council engaged Wates via this framework to work together with their in-house design team, to ensure that employment and skills opportunities for local people were maximised and that the building of the school was completed in February half term 2021.Find out more about our construction services
The bespoke one storey building has been specially designed to incorporate the needs of the children. The building will house 21 classrooms that will all open out onto play areas.
Alongside the classrooms the school will include;
- A hydrotherapy pool with hoists that can take pupils directly from
changing beds to the water
- An internal sheltered courtyard so children can play outdoors in all weather
- A multi-use games area with accessible gym equipment and separate play areas for key stage 1 and 2 and early years children
- Extensive landscaped area outside with fruit trees
- Two halls one for dining and recreation and one for PE and
- Sensory and soft play rooms
- Specialist changing facilities
- Offices for physiotherapy