- why wates?
- our businesses
- project stories
- thought leadership
CR highlights -2012
Our Reshaping Tomorrow commitments through to 2015 enable us to focus on the things which are important to us, our customers, supply chain and wider stakeholders. We are proud of the progress we continue to make and have been recognised externally through awards such as the Queens Award for Enterprise - Sustainable Development and securing the accolade Business in the Community Company of the Year. Some key highlights for 2012 include:
- Platinum Plus ranked company in the BITC CSR Index.
- Certified to ISO14001 until March 2014. Wates have held this standard since 2002.
- 97% of waste diverted from landfill
- 38.98% reduction in carbon emissions per £M turnover since 2008
- Wates moved into its first BREEAM Very Good building at The Peak, Wilton Road, Victoria, London.
- 3 projects achieved or working towards project chain of custody certification. These are on behalf of Land Securities and Great Portland Estates
- Over 600 people have completed our accredited Building Futures programme with 55% moving into employment or further training
- Wates has partnerships with a number of schools across the UK under the Business in the Community ‘Business Class’ programme. In addition Wates are an employer sponsor of the Greenwich University Technical College.
Secure employment is at the heart of sustainable communities. At a time with increasing unemployment especially with young people, businesses have a greater role to play in society.
A key priority under Reshaping Tomorrow is eliminating waste. Building on the success and lessons learnt from Target Zero,
reducing climate change
Our commitment to reducing CO2 emissions is twofold: we work with customers and industry partners to identify new technologies and techniques for low-carbon construction and we commit to reduce the carbon emissions from Wates’ operations.
Sourcing responsibly includes ensuring the materials we buy are from sustainable sources and that the suppliers and sub contractors we use share the same environmental values as ourselves.
Social Impact report 2012
Social Impact Consulting recently published the Green Light Report in association with the National Housing Federation.
Wates Giving is a charitable programme focused on making a real difference to the communities in which we live, work and build. The programme is run and funded by the Wates Family Enterprise Trust.