Recently graduated? Get your career off to a strong start at Wates! No previous experience is required. All you need is a passion for the built environment, motivation to learn and the drive to excel in your career.
If you’re looking for a role full of innovation, opportunity and variety, then you’re in the right place. Here are some of the core benefits our Graduate Programme will give you.
- We support you to become chartered and offer competitive industry pay.
- We pride ourselves in recruiting graduates from all disciplines. No matter what your degree subject or background, well train you up towards a construction career.
- We’ll rotate you around our business, ensuring you get a full breadth experience across our variety of departments and disciplines.
- You’ll receive structured development and a combination of technical and behavioural training. This will set you up with everything you need to excel in your career, both personally and professionally.
- Enjoy fantastic opportunities to make an impact. We love to empower our graduates with responsibility including opportunities to work on multi-million-pound projects.
- You’ll receive professional mentorship and guidance as well as great exposure to our senior leaders.
Many of our graduates have gone on to have long, successful careers at Wates. With our business spanning across construction, development and property services, the long-term career opportunities are endless, as is the earning potential!
Our early career roles
Bid Management Trainee (Pre-con)
Do you thrive in a client-facing environment? Want to help us win multi-million-pound contracts?
Bid managers are responsible for the proposal of bids to existing or prospective clients for projects. A bid manager will ensure the smooth running of the bid for a project within the correct time and financial parameters, and manage the relationship with the client.
As a member of the Bid Management team your overall responsibilities will include:
- Involvement in the bidding process; including capture requirements, client engagement, negotiation, presentation creation
- Understanding and following the bid process through the use of templates and procedure documents and ensuring that reviews and governance are planned prior to proposal submission
- Developing proposals using online software, ensuring the proposal is in line with the clients requirements
- Understanding the customers drivers to enable Wates to create business winning proposals
Do you care about the environment and enjoy putting your analytical and problem-solving skills to the test?
As a Trainee Engineer you will be involved in activities including:
- Dynamic thermal modelling
- Building Regulations Part L and Energy Performance Certificates
- TM54 energy analysis
- Daylight modelling and glare analysis
- Thermal comfort and ventilation modelling
- Low and zero carbon technologies feasibility studies
- Delivery of Passivhaus and NABERS
- Contributing to BREEAM and WELL
Business Management Trainee
On completion of the programme, you will be able start to work towards Chartership with the relevant professional institute.
You will support key functions on a rotational basis to ensure you develop a full and rounded overview of the business. You will gain knowledge in:
- Work Winning developing your understanding and skills in preparing tenders, engaging with potential clients and gaining an appreciation of our client needs
- Site Management working with the project delivery team and gaining experience on our site, with residents and our customers
- Commercial supporting commercial teams to ensure projects are commercially strong and ensuring accurate business reporting
Quantity surveying management trainee
Do you enjoy working with numbers? Want to manage the finances of multi-million-pound projects?
The commercial, Quantity Surveying teams within Wates are largely responsible for the contractual and financial management of a project. A combination of law, business and finance skills are used to manage relationships with key stakeholders including clients, designers, subcontractors and suppliers. Our commercial teams play a vital role in the construction of our projects.
As a Wates Quantity Surveying trainee, you will be involved in assisting with:
- Procurement and payment of sub-contractors
- Preparing tender and contract documents
- Producing commercial reports
- Ensuring that our projects are financially viable
- Safeguarding our commercial position
Estimating Management Trainee
Estimators hold a pivotal role within preconstruction and are responsible for estimating the costs of a building project.
Estimators work with all the other functions (design, building services, planning and site team) to understand their requirements and express them in an estimate which can then be offered as part of the work winning process. The cost of a project is usually the most important factor when a customer decides which company to work with.
As a Wates Estimator trainee, you will be involved in:
- Researching materials, equipment and labour costs
- Gathering quotes from sub-contractors and suppliers
- Assessing the levels of risk on a project
- Analysing company data, exchange rates and prices using software packages
- Preparing and submitting quotations for work
- Helping with bids for new contracts and supporting buying activities