Start your career with Wates
At Wates, we are proud to be a family-owned business, small enough to recognise and support great talent, yet big enough to challenge and interest our people through amazing multi-million-pound projects. To us, construction is more than just building. Its also a chance for us to positively impact the communities where we work and thrive.
Our Early Careers programmes offer a range of exciting development opportunities to undergraduates, graduates, school and college leavers as well as trade professionals. No matter what your background or aspiration, well help you find the right path where you can explore, grow and thrive as a professional.ROLES AVAILABLE NOW!
Hear from our existing apprentices and trainees
What to expect from our apprenticeship programmes
With rotational development, technical and behavioural training and a host of additional benefits, our programmes provide the foundation skills, knowledge and experience you need to build a long-term, successful career. Youll get to work with and be mentored by some of the best professionals in the industry, and with over 120 talented trainees on our programmes, youll also have amazing opportunities to build a network, collaborate and share learning with your peers.
We trust you to get involved from the moment you walk through the door, empowering you with variety and responsibility, and with our business spanning across construction, development and property services, the pathways and possibilities are endless!
Our early career roles
Bid Management Trainee (Pre-con)
Do you thrive in a client-facing environment? Want to help us win multi-million-pound contracts?
Bid managers are responsible for the proposal of bids to existing or prospective clients for projects. A bid manager will ensure the smooth running of the bid for a project within the correct time and financial parameters, and manage the relationship with the client.
As a member of the Bid Management team your overall responsibilities will include:
- Involvement in the bidding process; including capture requirements, client engagement, negotiation, presentation creation
- Understanding and following the bid process through the use of templates and procedure documents and ensuring that reviews and governance are planned prior to proposal submission
- Developing proposals using online software, ensuring the proposal is in line with the clients requirements
- Understanding the customers drivers to enable Wates to create business winning proposals
Building Services Management Trainee
Our Building Services Management programme is an important step towards becoming a Building Services professional.
Building Services manage the complex systems that bring a building to life. Managing the living and working environment on a project can range from controlling the temperature, lighting, data, fire systems and much more, to designing and planning the installation of these services.
You will be expected to engage in on-the-job training in key elements of construction, including mechanical and electrical engineering, design, planning, health and safety, operations and commercial.
As a Wates Building Services Management trainee, you will be involved in:
- Advising on cost-effective and energy efficient systems
- Drawing up plans, using computer-aided design and building information modelling software
- Testing systems and making changes to plans where necessary
- Monitoring the installation of services and managing their maintenance once the building is completed
- Making sure all building services meet health and safety requirements and environmental legislation
Business Management Trainee
On completion of the programme, you will be able start to work towards Chartership with the relevant professional institute.
You will support key functions on a rotational basis to ensure you develop a full and rounded overview of the business. You will gain knowledge in:
- Work Winning developing your understanding and skills in preparing tenders, engaging with potential clients and gaining an appreciation of our client needs
- Site Management working with the project delivery team and gaining experience on our site, with residents and our customers
- Commercial supporting commercial teams to ensure projects are commercially strong and ensuring accurate business reporting
Quantity surveying management trainee
Do you enjoy working with numbers? Want to manage the finances of multi-million-pound projects?
The commercial, Quantity Surveying teams within Wates are largely responsible for the contractual and financial management of a project. A combination of law, business and finance skills are used to manage relationships with key stakeholders including clients, designers, subcontractors and suppliers. Our commercial teams play a vital role in the construction of our projects.
As a Wates Quantity Surveying trainee, you will be involved in assisting with:
- Procurement and payment of sub-contractors
- Preparing tender and contract documents
- Producing commercial reports
- Ensuring that our projects are financially viable
- Safeguarding our commercial position
Design Management Trainee
Would you like to work with a range of different people including architects, engineers, consultant quantity surveyors and subcontractors?
The Design Management team review and analyse complex information to ensure the design of a project incorporates buildability, programme sequence and encourages best practice health and safety.
As a Wates Design Management Year Out student, you will be involved in assisting with:
- Ensuring the company manages the process of design to reduce risk and maximize return
- Maintaining relationships with clients, designers, subcontractors and suppliers, through a fair and professional approach when managing design and related matters
- Safeguarding the contractual position of Wates in respect of such matters as progress of the works, design responsibility and our contractual obligations to sub- contractors regarding design responsibility
- Provide sound design, progress and dashboard information to your line manager and other functions as well as support in the preparation of reports regarding design consultant performance
Site Management Trainee
Are you looking for a role with a mix of being out on site and in the office?
Site Managers often find themselves at the heart of our Wates projects. As a Site Management Trainee you will be involved in the following:
- Promoting and upholding Wates reputation for providing the highest standards of site safety, health and welfare and protection of the environment
- Working with our supply chain and surveyors to protect Wates commercial position and the potential for profit and repeat business
- Developing good working relationships with the client, design team and supply chain by promoting best practice throughout the whole construction process
- Developing an understanding in technical practices and sequences on projects
- Contributing knowledge and skills to the delivery of the project on time, on budget and to the required quality
- Ensuring our subcontractors are delivering at the highest standards
Are you looking for a role in an exciting and rapidly growing sector?
Wates Developments specialises in land, planning and residential development throughout the South of England, with a large and growing portfolio of potential residential development land.
The business focuses on securing land and delivering planning consents in sustainable town and country locations, in areas of high demand. Wates Developments has a portfolio of over 65 sites at all stages of planning, representing over 15,000 new homes together with a further 3,000 homes in active joint ventures with partners and 3,000 potential homes sites newly allocated into Local Plans.
You will be expected to engage in on the job training in key elements of Land & Planning, including for example Finance, Legal, Risk, Health and Safety and Project Management.
As a member of the developments team your overall responsibilities will include:
- Assisting the Projects and Land team in the appraisal, management, purchase and disposal of land in line with the Wates Developments Business Plan.
- Building knowledge and understanding of the Wates business
- Understanding budgets, forecast and business plan
- Developing an understanding of people & leadership skills, interaction and networking by attending landowner, agent, professional andlocal authority meetings
- Developing a basic understanding of Wates Group SHE policies and best practice relevant to Wates Developments
- Working towards becoming a subject matter expert in the field of politics, localism, and issues surroundingland & planning