Wates Giving is a programme run by the Wates Family Enterprise Trust, an independent charity set up by the Wates family.
Launched in 2008, the Trust is integral to the Wates family’s approach of being responsible business owners and its vison of being a force for good.
Fostering active citizenship
Right from the start, the Trust designed Wates Giving to empower Wates employees to make a real difference to their local communities and help them to support those organisations close to their hearts.
Open solely to Wates employees, the Wates Giving programme includes a range of different award categories. These include:
- Matched Funding for individual and team fundraising initiatives from cake sales to marathons and abseils and everything in between
- Community awards in support of the organisations Wates people volunteer for tirelessly in their own time from school PTAs to sports clubs to community groups and charities
- Charitable donations through the Give As You Earn scheme
- Support for the charity partner of the Wates Group, currently The Conservation Volunteers
- Grants for initiatives and projects proposed and championed by Wates people through their local Wates business unit from funding food banks to supporting local skill-building programmes
- Sport sponsorship awards for employees (or a direct family member) who are competing in sport at a national or elite level.
Since the Wates Giving programme was set up, Wates employees have raised over £1.6m for charities boosted by matched funding and over 2,000 organisations have been supported.
From awarding funding for grass-root community projects to largescale team fundraising, the Wates Family Enterprise Trust has been proud to collaborate with Wates employees to positively impact the lives of tens of thousands of people through Wates Giving. This short film, produced to commemorate the Trust’s first ten years, outlines some of these achievements.Visit the Wates Giving section on the Trust’s website
Building communities and improving lives beyond tomorrow.
Alongside the Wates Giving programme, the Wates Family Enterprise Trust also has three strategic themes that structure its grant making:
- Life opportunities for Young People, and
Through these themes the Trust funds new ideas, ground breaking research and charitable projects that make a difference to people’s lives and support its goal of building communities and improving lives beyond tomorrow.
Please visit the Trust’s website to discover more about its work.