Wates launched its first ever external ‘Green Dragons Den’ style competition in June 2016 in partnership with a selection of clients from leading UK businesses. This focused on innovative sustainable solutions for the facilities management sector, with representatives from Wates Smartspace, the RFU, Standard Chartered Bank, the Canadian High Commission and Barings Asset Management sitting on the judging panel. Partners at subsequent events have also included TNT, Royal Mail, Merseyside Police, Co-op, Gatwick, M&S, Lee Baron and Arcadis.
Six suppliers were selected to pitch to the judging panel and demonstrate how their innovative sustainable technology or solution could address a specific set of sustainability and resource efficiency challenges. Solutions put forward included an energy saving central heating additive, a fuel conditioning system that cuts costs and carbon emissions for major energy users, an innovative water and energy saving modification for wash basin taps and a plug and play wireless lighting control, reducing energy consumption by up to 78%.
Each member of the judging panel has selected a number of technologies to pilot on their sites. Some of the selected innovations are also currently being trailed at the Wates Group Head Office in Leatherhead.
I was very impressed with the quality of technologies and entrepreneurs presented. The selected finalists were a perfect pitch towards today’s facilities management market requirements to improve the energy efficiency of our building and also reduce our operating costs.”
Darren Sear, Global Head of Energy & Environment at Standard Charted Bank
Wates Sustainable Technology Services
This competition is part of the Wates Group’s Sustainable Technology Services programme which seeks to identify and support innovative ‘market ready’ low carbon sustainable products or technologies that can offer direct resource efficiency benefits to existing commercial buildings, such as reducing energy in use, carbon emissions, waste and water usage without compromising the comfort and working conditions of building users.
Download our full WSTS brochure here
Register Your Interest For The Next Competition!
If you have a sustainable product or technology that can offer direct resource efficiency benefits to existing commercial buildings, such as reducing energy in-use, carbon emissions, waste and water usage without compromising the comfort and working conditions of building users please complete our survey here and we’ll contact you ahead of the next competition.
For more information about Wates Sustainable Technology Services, contact Dr.Zainab Dangana, Sustainability Research and Development Manager, at Zainab.Dangana@wates.co.uk
Entry Terms and Conditions:
2) Free of charge entry by registering your details at the link above.
3) On registering, you agree that the following statements are true:
- You confirm that all information submitted is correct
- If any of the information is found to be misleading or untrue, your entry will be removed immediately
- Shortlisting of finalists is based on identifying suitable innovations for Wates Smartspace and its customers. This is at the discretion of Wates.
- Selected suppliers will be invited to a ‘Green Dragons’ Den’ style workshop to present to a panel of representatives from Wates and a selection of key decision makers from its customer base
- Selected suppliers will be included on Wates Smartspace’s central database of innovative technologies to be promoted in bids/tenders and to Wates customers, as appropriate
- Finalists will have the opportunity to trial their innovation with Wates customers