Our commitment to inclusion
As a family-owned business we know our people are at the core of our continuing success. It’s our people who make Wates successful. We will only achieve our strategic objectives if we retain and recruit the best people, and provide them with an environment characterised by inclusivity, diversity and opportunity.
Wates has identified key objectives and milestones in its new Diversity and Inclusion plan, to create a business where everyone is welcomed, included and connected.
Our ambition for 2025
“The entire built environment sector needs to change to become more representative of wider society. At Wates we want to lead that change. The plan we have issued today sets out our approach, our goals and our targets which will help us to be a business where everyone is welcomed, included and connected. ”
David Allen, Chief Executive
- Drive industry to be more inclusive by playing a leading role in peer and stakeholder collaboration
- Have a workforce that more accurately reflects society (we will be 60% men, 40% women, 20% BAME, 3% disability and 5% LGBTQ+ across all levels in our business)
- Positively encourage flexible working through appropriate working arrangements and benefits
- Ensure fairness in all our people systems, processes and reward mechanisms
- Be a place where everyone loves to work
We will achieve this by concentrating on 4 key objectives:
- Encourage bold leadership – our leaders at all levels are committed to embracing and implementing our #WatesTogether inclusion strategy
- Increase awareness through education – we provide the right tools and training to support inclusive mindsets and forums to foster debate
- Involve everyone – we empower everyone to create inclusive working environments and encourage them to engage in activities and partnerships internally and externally
- Embed inclusion into all we do – we will attract and develop a diverse workforce with an inclusive mindset and ensure all of our processes and procedures support this