Every retail brand is different – each unique in their consumer offering and each creating a distinctive point of sale that has been fine-tuned to enhance the customer experience.
The breadth of our project portfolio within retail has taught us that every project is different, be it a retrofit programme, a modest refurbishment or a major fit-out of a flagship store. Every investment is an opportunity to innovate, to improve our customers’ retail offering and set the bar for high quality retail across the UK.
Wates Smartspace has built a reputation for its full turnkey services within retail, offering an end-to-end collaborative partnership through which we achieve our customers’ aspirations on time and on budget. We have worked with the UK’s leading retailers, including M&S, John Lewis and major supermarkets to deliver a broad range of services, including shell design, project feasibility, design development, fit-out and aftercare management.FIND OUT MORE ABOUT WATES SMART SPACE
We are committed to adding value and we believe that our early engagement is fundamental to this. By working in partnership with our customers to oversee negotiations with landlords and developers and through our involvement with project feasibility and design, we are able to assess value and address potential risks. We work closely with our UK-wide supply chain partners to value engineer our projects ahead of delivery, resulting in high quality and cost certainty for our customers.
Retail trends and the ways in which we consume are ever-changing. The breadth of our capability has been made possible by our open-minded and collaborative approach. We work flexibly with our customers to understand their brand vision, developing fit-out solutions that result in high quality spaces that optimise the retail experience for consumers.
- Refurbishment of Parcelforce distribution centres, working for Royal Mail to concurrently deliver nine refurbishment projects across the UK, each delivered on time, on budget and accident-free.
- Delivering major freezer retrofit programme for M&S – a comprehensive turnkey service that included extensive pre-construction followed by the installation of new freezers across 150 stores.
Case Study: Marks & Spencer, Hempstead Valley
In 2019 Wates Smartspace transformed the flagship Hempstead Valley store in Kent, a ‘test and learn’ concept store piloted for a major M&S programme to retain the high quality synonymous with its brand while modernising its services to its customers.
The transformation of the Food Hall involved the store doubling in size of store which was achieved in a live trading environment and with meticulous attention to health and safety. The project was vital to the success of M&S’s strategy to transform its food business and as such, it was essential to ensure that the high-profile store not only remained operational but also led the way in terms of high-quality outputs. Project completion was achieved within 16 weeks, with phased handovers taking place to minimise any inconvenience to store customers.READ THE M&S CASE STUDY
- Entrusted with M&S’s test and learn store to support Foodhall transformation programme, supported by 20 years of experience working for M&S across its entire estate.
- Doubled store size with minimal disruption to customers, made possible through close communication with store management, daily inspections and meticulous attention to detail.
- Delivered on time and on budget, within a 16-week project programme.