Looking to translate your university studies into a live workplace environment?
Our structured year-out placement programme is the ideal place to start. This placement is the first step to understanding more about our business and applying the knowledge youve gained in your degree so far. Its open to students currently studying a construction related degree, on track for a 2:1 and with a B in Maths and English GCSE. Here are some of the core benefits our placement programme will give you.
- Its a great pathway into our hugely popular Graduate Programme.
- Youll get real hands-on experience through rotational development. Well move you around our departments, allowing you to get full exposure to a variety of disciplines.
- Throughout your placement, you will be well supported, receiving professional mentorship and guidance from some of the industrys best. In fact, many of our Senior Managers actually started their careers as trainees, which gives them a great understanding of the level of support and development you will need.
- Youll also receive structured development and a combination of technical and behavioural training, setting you up with everything you need to support your studies and build a potential career.
- Many of our undergraduates have come back to us and gone on to have long, successful careers. With the variety and breadth our business offers, the opportunities are endless.
Our early career roles
Building Services Management Trainee
Our Building Services Engineering Graduate programme is an important step towards becoming a Building Services professional.
Building Services manage the complex systems that bring a building to life. Managing the living and working environment on a project can range from controlling the temperature, lighting, data, fire systems and much more, to designing and planning the installation of these services.
You will be expected to engage in on-the-job training in key elements of construction, including mechanical and electrical engineering, design, planning, health and safety, operations and commercial.
As a Wates Building Services Engineer trainee, you will be involved in:
- Advising on cost-effective and energy efficient systems
- Drawing up plans, using computer-aided design and building information modelling software
- Testing systems and making changes to plans where necessary
- Monitoring the installation of services and managing their maintenance once the building is completed
- Making sure all building services meet health and safety requirements and environmental legislation
Design Management Trainee
Would you like to work with a range of different peopleincluding architects, engineers, consultant quantity surveyors and subcontractors?
The Design Management team review and analyse complex information to ensure the design of a project incorporates buildability, programme sequence and encourages best practice health and safety.
As a Wates Design Management Year Out student, you will be involved in assisting with:
- Ensuring the company manages the process of design to reduce risk and maximize return
- Maintaining relationships with clients, designers, subcontractors and suppliers, through a fair and professional approach when managing design and related matters
- Safeguarding the contractual position of Wates in respect of such matters as progress of the works, design responsibility and our contractual obligations to sub- contractors regarding design responsibility
- Provide sound design, progress and dashboard information to your line manager and other functions as well as support in the preparation of reports regarding design consultant performance
Planning Management Trainee
Keen to be involved in mapping the steps that bring our construction projects to life?
Construction Planners are positioned at the forefront of our construction projects, making sure they are built with the right resources to the correct quality and cost, on time and safely.
As a Wates Planning Trainee, you will be involved in:
- Defining each aspect of a project and choosing the best methods to complete them
- Estimating activity durations and resource requirements
- Defining the work tasks and relationships required to deliver the project
- Creating, maintaining and reviewing construction schedules and plans
- Dealing with external contractors and suppliers to organise the many phases of the construction development
Site Management Trainee
Are you looking for a role with a mix of being out on site and in the office?
Site Managers often find themselves at the heart of our Wates projects. As a Site Management Trainee you will be involved in the following:
- Promoting and upholding Wates reputation for providing the highest standards of site safety, health and welfare and protection of the environment
- Working with our supply chain and surveyors to protect Wates commercial position and the potential for profit and repeat business
- Developing good working relationships with the client, design team and supply chain by promoting best practice throughout the whole construction process
- Developing an understanding in technical practices and sequences on projects
- Contributing knowledge and skills to the delivery of the project on time, on budget and to the required quality
- Ensuring our subcontractors are delivering at the highest standards