Year Out Programme
Transform your university skillset for the workplace
Looking to translate your university studies into a live workplace environment? Our structured year-out placement programme is the ideal place to start.
This placement is the first step to understanding more about our business and applying the knowledge you’ve gained in your degree so far. It’s open to students currently studying a construction related degree, on track for a 2:1 and with a B in Maths and English GCSE. Here are some of the core benefits our placement programme will give you.
- It’s a great pathway into our hugely popular Graduate Programme.
- You’ll get real hands-on experience through rotational development. We’ll move you around our departments, allowing you to get full exposure to a variety of disciplines.
- Throughout your placement, you will be well supported, receiving professional mentorship and guidance from some of the industry’s best. In fact, many of our Senior Managers actually started their careers as trainees, which gives them a great understanding of the level of support and development you will need.
- You’ll also receive structured development and a combination of technical and behavioural training, setting you up with everything you need to support your studies and build a potential career.
- Many of our undergraduates have come back to us and gone on to have long, successful careers. With the variety and breadth our business offers, the opportunities are endless.
Your Next Step
Quantity Surveying Management Trainee Programme
Do you enjoy working with numbers? Want to manage the finances of multi-million-pound projects? Then our Quantity Surveying Management Programme may be the pathway for you.
The commercial, Quantity Surveying teams within Wates are largely responsible for the contractual and financial management of a project. A combination of law, business and finance skills are used to manage relationships with key stakeholders including clients, designers, subcontractors and suppliers. Our commercial teams play a vital role in the construction of our projects.
As a Wates Quantity Surveying trainee, you will be involved in assisting with:
- Procurement and payment of sub-contractors
- Preparing tender and contract documents
- Producing commercial reports
- Ensuring that our projects are financially viable
- Safeguarding our commercial position
Ready to find out more? Apply Now
Site Management Trainee Programme
Are you looking for a role with a mix of being out on site and in the office? Then our Site Management Programme might be the right pathway for you. Site Managers often find themselves at the heart of our Wates projects. As a Site Management Trainee you will be involved in the following:
- Promoting and upholding Wates reputation for providing the highest standards of site safety, health and welfare and protection of the environment
- Working with our supply chain and surveyors to protect Wates commercial position and the potential for profit and repeat business
- Developing good working relationships with the client, design team and supply chain by promoting best practice throughout the whole construction process
- Developing an understanding in technical practices and sequences on projects.
- Contributing knowledge and skills to the delivery of the project on time, on budget and to the required quality
- Ensuring our subcontractors are delivering at the highest standards
Ready to find out more? Apply Now
Building Services Management Trainee Programme
If you’re interested in design and like putting your analytical and problem-solving skills to the test, then our Building Services Engineering Management Programme may be the pathway for you.
Building Services manage the complex systems that bring a building to life. Managing the living and working environment on a project can range from controlling the temperature, lighting, data, fire systems and much more, to designing and planning the installation of these services.
Our Building Services Engineering Graduate programme is an important step towards becoming a Building Services professional. You will be expected to engage in on-the-job training in key elements of construction, including mechanical and electrical engineering, design, planning, health and safety, operations and commercial.
As a Wates Building Services Engineer trainee, you will be involved in:
- Advising on cost-effective and energy efficient systems
- Drawing up plans, using computer-aided design and building information modelling software
- Testing systems and making changes to plans where necessary
- Monitoring the installation of services and managing their maintenance once the building is completed
- Making sure all building services meet health and safety requirements and environmental legislation