Recently graduated? Get your career off to a strong start at Wates! No previous experience is required. All you need is a passion for the built environment, motivation to learn and the drive to excel in your career.
If youre looking for a role full of innovation, opportunity and variety, then youre in the right place. Here are some of the core benefits our Graduate Programme will give you.
- We support you to become chartered and offer competitive industry pay.
- We pride ourselves in recruiting graduates from all disciplines. No matter what your degree subject or background, well train you up towards a construction career.
- Well rotate you around our business, ensuring you get a full breadth experience across our variety of departments and disciplines.
- Youll receive structured development and a combination of technical and behavioural training. This will set you up with everything you need to excel in your career, both personally and professionally.
- Enjoy fantastic opportunities to make an impact. We love to empower our graduates with responsibility including opportunities to work on multi-million-pound projects.
- Youll receive professional mentorship and guidance as well as great exposure to our senior leaders.
Many of our graduates have gone on to have long, successful careers at Wates. With our business spanning across construction, development and property services, the long-term career opportunities are endless, as is the earning potential!
Our early career roles
Bid Management Trainee (Pre-con)
Do you thrive in a client-facing environment? Want to help us win multi-million-pound contracts?
Bid managers are responsible for the proposal of bids to existing or prospective clients for projects. A bid manager will ensure the smooth running of the bid for a project within the correct time and financial parameters, and manage the relationship with the client.
As a member of the Bid Management team your overall responsibilities will include:
- Involvement in the bidding process; including capture requirements, client engagement, negotiation, presentation creation
- Understanding and following the bid process through the use of templates and procedure documents and ensuring that reviews and governance are planned prior to proposal submission
- Developing proposals using online software, ensuring the proposal is in line with the clients requirements
- Understanding the customers drivers to enable Wates to create business winning proposals
Building Services Management Trainee
Our Building Services Engineering Graduate programme is an important step towards becoming a Building Services professional.
Building Services manage the complex systems that bring a building to life. Managing the living and working environment on a project can range from controlling the temperature, lighting, data, fire systems and much more, to designing and planning the installation of these services.
You will be expected to engage in on-the-job training in key elements of construction, including mechanical and electrical engineering, design, planning, health and safety, operations and commercial.
As a Wates Building Services Engineer trainee, you will be involved in:
- Advising on cost-effective and energy efficient systems
- Drawing up plans, using computer-aided design and building information modelling software
- Testing systems and making changes to plans where necessary
- Monitoring the installation of services and managing their maintenance once the building is completed
- Making sure all building services meet health and safety requirements and environmental legislation
Business Management Trainee
On completion of the programme, you will be able start to work towards Chartership with the relevant professional institute.
You will support key functions on a rotational basis to ensure you develop a full and rounded overview of the business. You will gain knowledge in:
- Work Winning developing your understanding and skills in preparing tenders, engaging with potential clients and gaining an appreciation of our client needs
- Site Management working with the project delivery team and gaining experience on our site, with residents and our customers
- Commercial supporting commercial teams to ensure projects are commercially strong and ensuring accurate business reporting
Design Management Trainee
Would you like to work with a range of different people including architects, engineers, consultant quantity surveyors and subcontractors?
The Design Management team review and analyse complex information to ensure the design of a project incorporates buildability, programme sequence and encourages best practice health and safety.
As a Wates Design Management Year Out student, you will be involved in assisting with:
- Ensuring the company manages the process of design to reduce risk and maximize return
- Maintaining relationships with clients, designers, subcontractors and suppliers, through a fair and professional approach when managing design and related matters
- Safeguarding the contractual position of Wates in respect of such matters as progress of the works, design responsibility and our contractual obligations to sub- contractors regarding design responsibility
- Provide sound design, progress and dashboard information to your line manager and other functions as well as support in the preparation of reports regarding design consultant performance
Quantity surveying management trainee
Do you enjoy working with numbers? Want to manage the finances of multi-million-pound projects?
The commercial, Quantity Surveying teams within Wates are largely responsible for the contractual and financial management of a project. A combination of law, business and finance skills are used to manage relationships with key stakeholders including clients, designers, subcontractors and suppliers. Our commercial teams play a vital role in the construction of our projects.
As a Wates Quantity Surveying trainee, you will be involved in assisting with:
- Procurement and payment of sub-contractors
- Preparing tender and contract documents
- Producing commercial reports
- Ensuring that our projects are financially viable
- Safeguarding our commercial position
Estimating Management Trainee
Estimators hold a pivotal role within preconstruction and are responsible for estimating the costs of a building project.
Estimators work with all the other functions (design, building services, planning and site team) to understand their requirements and express them in an estimate which can then be offered as part of the work winning process. The cost of a project is usually the most important factor when a customer decides which company to work with.
As a Wates Estimator trainee, you will be involved in:
- Researching materials, equipment and labour costs
- Gathering quotes from sub-contractors and suppliers
- Assessing the levels of risk on a project
- Analysing company data, exchange rates and prices using software packages
- Preparing and submitting quotations for work
- Helping with bids for new contracts and supporting buying activities
Planning Management Trainee
Keen to be involved in mapping the steps that bring our construction projects to life?
Construction Planners are positioned at the forefront of our construction projects, making sure they are built with the right resources to the correct quality and cost, on time and safely.
As a Wates Planning Trainee, you will be involved in:
- Defining each aspect of a project and choosing the best methods to complete them
- Estimating activity durations and resource requirements
- Defining the work tasks and relationships required to deliver the project
- Creating, maintaining and reviewing construction schedules and plans
- Dealing with external contractors and suppliers to organise the many phases of the construction development
Site Management Trainee
Are you looking for a role with a mix of being out on site and in the office?
Site Managers often find themselves at the heart of our Wates projects. As a Site Management Trainee you will be involved in the following:
- Promoting and upholding Wates reputation for providing the highest standards of site safety, health and welfare and protection of the environment
- Working with our supply chain and surveyors to protect Wates commercial position and the potential for profit and repeat business
- Developing good working relationships with the client, design team and supply chain by promoting best practice throughout the whole construction process
- Developing an understanding in technical practices and sequences on projects
- Contributing knowledge and skills to the delivery of the project on time, on budget and to the required quality
- Ensuring our subcontractors are delivering at the highest standards