- why wates?
- our businesses
- project stories
- thought leadership
local community activity
Wates is a family owned business that has been working at the heart of communities like yours for over 114 years. Our regional offices throughout the UK have strong ties with the local communities they serve and seek to use their experience, expertise, funding and connections to help support people in these areas.
Our commitment to communities is at the heart of our values.
- We work alongside a network of community partners to deliver an effective programme of community engagement.
- Our people are involved in local community activity through charity fundraising events and our annual Community Day, which this year saw over 2,000 people contributing 12,886 hours of work to local projects.
- Community activity ranges from supporting local companies, commitment to employing local people on our projects, appointing social enterprises, engagement with schools and employee volunteering.
- Over £1.2m was committed by Wates Giving, our charitable funding vehicle, to local community projects.
- Wates provides employees with time off for volunteering in their local communities.
Our priority is to accelerate progress in creating more sustainable communities by raising educational aspirations, improving skills and creating employment.
Wates Giving is an independent charitable programme run by the Wates family through the Wates Family Enterprise Trust.
Social Impact report 2012
Social Impact Consulting recently published the Green Light Report in association with the National Housing Federation.