Tampopo, The Oracle, Reading
The new Tampopo restaurant in Reading’s Oracle Shopping Centre was the first Tampopo project to be completed by Wates. The opportunity to work with a new client was relished by the team, who brought to life the sixth restaurant for the growing chain. The project consisted of the transformation of an old nightclub, complete M&E works, full fit-out both back and front of house including a ‘theatre kitchen’ as well as the installation of bespoke dining fittings.
Highlights of the prjoect include:
- Over 10% cost savings on original pre-lims through reducing the programme from eight weeks to seven
- Exceeded the customers expectations with our ‘lite’ contracting approach - lessons learnt have allowed us to develop our offer to this sector including tailoring H&S policies and streamlining our processes.
- A single point of contact for the Tampopo team and excellent relationship management with all stakeholders ensured ease of logistical planning with minimum disruption to surrounding businesses, the centre management team and the town centre.
- Accident free site was delivered through impeccable H&S standards
- Complete ownership by the Wates site team ensured challenges faced along the way did not impact project completion:
- Our in-house design managers were able to incorporate structural variations to the original design such as an additional plant deck and an awning with no impact on programme
- Our in-house M&E specialists overcame previously installed poorly designed duct work to maximise efficiency without adding cost
Our national capability has ensured we will be part of forthcoming projects with Tampopo.
Client Name: Tampopo
Project title: Oracle Reading
Value: circa £500,000
Period: 7 weeks
Project size: 300m2
Architect: Harrison Ince, Manchester
Structural Engineer: Melliss LLP
PQS: Emeny Turley Partnership Ltd