The Hub, 500 Aztec West
This project for a key client of Wates was the new build of a £23 million office block in Bristol.
Our team already had a very successful relationship with the client and were keen to maintain this. We were involved very early in the project' life and consequently were able to provide detailed cost, programme and technical buildability advice during the pre construction period.
This led to the development of the shortest practical programme, with cost and quality benefits, through:
- Identifying programme high risk activities and undertaking these as an enabling package;
- Selecting the appropriate concrete frame specialist to ensure a high quality finish to concrete soffits.
- Use of prefabricated service runs, which also provided a frame ready for dry lining, providing a significant programme saving;
- Combining automated natural ventilation with the use of chilled beam units was quite unusual and our team assisted the designers with cost modelling and technical issues to ensure the most effective cost solution was identified
Several obstacles faced the programme at times, for example, newts were found on site prior to the scheduled start which delayed the works. Our team not only helped to eradicate the problem, but also developed and maintained a further fast-track programme, as we knew how important it was to the client to move in on time.
Features of the project include:
- BREEAM Excellent
- Recognised as a leader in the South West and South Wales section of the 2010 BCO awards, winning the Best Corporate Workspace Category.
- Use of sustainable and environmental technologies (ground source heat pumps, rain water recovery, high natural day lighting with solar shading)
- Our team produced regular newsletters to neighbours making them aware of forthcoming events
- We assisted residents with window cleaning, maintaining fence lines
- Assisted a local college with various events including: refurbishing some of their classrooms; providing seminars; careers advice; supplying health and safety equipment to encourage safety awareness.
Client: Rok Development Limited
Value: £23 million
Duration: 16 months