Challney High School for Girls, Luton
Wates Construction handed over the exceptional £24 million Challney High School for Girls in January 2011, on time and on budget following a demanding 86 week build programme.
The innovatively designed new two storey building now accommodates over 1,000 students aged between 11 and 16 and creates outstanding state-of-the-art facilities, including a library, drama suite and sports hall, for both students and the local Luton community.
Elements of the project include:
• Green field site with new state of the art two storey concrete framed school, clad with insulated render with ribbon windows and large areas of curtain walling with coloured glass panels to circulation areas, giving a light and airy feel.
• Three flat roof wings emanate from the central glulam rafter supported Kalzip roofed hub areas with the teaching spaces leading off from each of the heart spaces.
• Main architectural feature is the main entrance rotunda with a circular glass fronted library ‘floating’ above the main entrance doors with feature glulam Y columns supporting a radial Kalzip roof.
• Facilities include a four court (badminton) sports hall and main drama hall with dance studio.
• External areas with hard and soft landscaped areas are fine tuned to suit the educational needs of the school.
• Sports facilities include floodlit county hockey standard all weather pitch, alongside a MUGA for netball and tennis with large area of grass playing area available.
As the new building’s site was the existing school’s playing field, Wates constructed a new road, half a mile long, through the site to sports facilities on the Active Luton fields, as well as handing over extensive new sports facilities early, to ensure that the sports curriculum could be maintained for students throughout the build programme.
Client: Luton Learning and Community Partnership
Value: £24 million